Red Bulls go winless in five edged by Whitecaps

Coming off a big win in the 4th round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup against the Atlanta Silverbacks, the club was ready to right the ship in league play as they took on a tough and talented Carl Robinson Vancouver Whitecaps side that has been playing very well and is in the top three in the Western Conference standings. Chances for the Red Bulls came early on the good and the bad. 
First chance for the home side came at the 4th minute when Sal Zizzo was tripped up inside the area and referee Jorge Gonzalez pointed to the spot. Bradley Wright-Phillips who has been perfect converting from the spot going eight for eight got stopped by David Ousted going to his right, replayed showed Ousted stepped off his line a bit early but none the less he did prevent Wright-Phillips from scoring. 

Then the home side went down to ten men as Sacha Kljestan got a straight red card in the 11th minute as he was tussling with Kendall Waston in the area and threw an elbow that never made contact. Then he tried to trip up Waston and when that didn't work Waston fell down and Gonzalez went back pocket to send off Kljestan who was not happy about it and put his behind the eight ball for 79 minutes. "It was a stupid play by me and I take full responsibility for it." Said Kljestan, "Waston is hugging me in the box and he's holding me so I threw an elbow towards him to get rid of him. It didn't connect but I need to take responsibility for it and I apologized to my teammates at half time." 

The Whitecaps took advantage and four minutes later it was a fantastic cross down the right side by Steven Beitashour who found Kekuta Manneh down the middle who side foots the ball past Luis Robles for the opening goal of the match. Their second goal came late in the 2nd half around the 77th minute as Kianz Froses and the Whitecaps went on a counter and slotted the ball past Robles right side and converted inside the far post for the two goal lead, but the Red Bulls did pull one back with another quick strike by Anatole Abang as he side footed a Chris Duvall cross five minutes later. 

But it wasn't enough as the Whitecaps continue to vex the Red Bulls since they came into the league back in 2011 and win for the first time at Red Bull Arena by a final of two goals to one. This game had tons of chances for the Red Bulls to try and equalize this game and nothing was going their way. The club also got a second penalty attempt and when it was called in the 64th minute Wright-Phillips did not blink an eye, he wanted to take the spot kick again & Ousted guessed correctly and made another huge save to keep the one goal lead at the time till Froses doubled it later. 

Jesse Marsch looked dejected and feeling defeated on this current bad stretch of losing four straight and winless in five league matches. "We need to continue to find ways to have good starts, to grab control of games, I don't think I've ever been apart of teams that can't seem to control the game and come out losers. The biggest positive was that we had a better second half after a nervy first after (Sacha) Kljestan was sent off. But I have to take blame for what's going on with these results and I will work hard to right the ship."
In the middle of the 2nd half the South Ward started to chant Michael Petke's name and while it wasn't loud enough, the stirring has started and if the club can't fix these issues before the match this coming Wednesday at Real Salt Lake, those Petke chants will be louder and louder and who knows what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment